Into Fall.

By Unknown - October 15, 2014




It’s probably one of the times of the year that I love the most. That time when hot and dry sunny days let place to cold and windy autumn days. I love looking at the trees turning red, losing their leaves and watching them fly in the wind. I love going outside and then, have the privilege to drink hot black tea, sitting on my bed wrapped in warm covers and wearing baggy sweaters.


I love the smells of Fall. I love the smell of pumpkin spices, I love the smell of warm soups cooking slowly, I love the smell of hot coco, and the smell of warm houses (yes, houses smell different every season).

One of my favorite food in autumn and winter are squashes. All of them. Every time I bump into a new kind, I don’t take the time to think and buy it right away, already wondering how I could cook it.



I created a post for a group blog post. It will be posted on my blog in a couple of weeks. Waiting for it, I wanted to share with you my recipe for vegan pumpkin pie. This recipe uses very few sugar and very few fats so besides being a nice Thanksgiving treat, it’s also great for your health. I like to bake it with fresh ginger because its taste is stronger. However, if you only happen to have dried ginger, it’s fine, your pie will be as good as with fresh one.



Serves 4-6

·       25 g corn starch
·       25 g buckwheat flour
·       50 g oat flour
·       ¼ ts baking soda
·       1 TbS olive oil
·       1 ts canola oil
·       8 mL water

·       1 small red kuri squash
·       3 TbS maple syrup
·       3 TbS muscovado sugar (optional)
·       1 TbS ground cinnamon
·       1 TbS fresh ginger, shredded
·       1 TbS pumpkin spice
·       ¼ tonka bean, grounded
·       Zest of 1 lemon
·       Chopped nuts to top

Prepare the crust:

·       Combine flours and soda in a mixing bowl.
·       Add oils and water and mix until dough is homogeneous, not sticky and not crumbly. Add more oat flour or water if necessary.
·       Set in the fridge.

Prepare the filling:
·       Halve red kuri squash and remove seeds with a spoon. Cut it in squares and cook it in boiling water until tender.
·       Use a hand blender to puree it with a bit of cooking water.
·       Combine spices, sugar, lemon zest and maple syrup and add to red kuri squash puree.
·       Mix well.

Assemble the pie:
·       Preheat oven at 350 °F (180°C)
·       Spread evenly crust on a sheet of parchment paper.
·       Transfer crust to a 18 cm tart tin.
·       Spread evenly squash filling and bake for 25 min.
·       Let cool and top with chopped nuts.






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments