A vegan and gluten free energy bar

By Unknown - August 10, 2014


Since summer began, I enjoyed having a lot of free time to exercise more. I missed sport so much during the school year that my body is somehow pushing me to grab any occasion to exercise.  Since we are lucky enough to have a pool, I have spent hours swimming, enjoying each second in the water as if it was the last one – we never know when a storm will come.

Indeed this summer is not a real summer. At least, not in Southern France. We usually have very hot days with few storms but no rain at all. The grass often grows dried and we are under water restrictions most times. Well, this year, we have a couple sunny days and then long, sad and rainy days. And even when the sun is out there shinning, the temperatures do not really go high. I am not about to complain about that last fact. I truly enjoy those sunny days because they are not too hot. We feel like it’s spring. Or autumn. But definitely not summer.

 


Anyways, I just wanted to tell you about these bars. I discovered a blog lately (better late than never) which is about healthy vegetarian and gluten free recipes. Just what I needed. When I like a blog, it means that I found gorgeous pictures and recipes to inspire me; recipes which I want to try. This blog has both of them and really nice stories around each recipes.

Without further ado, here is the link.

The bars I’m talking to you about right now have been created by David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl: the authors of this wonderful blog. They are full of energy since the main ingredient is dates and full of proteins as well since they are loaded with seeds. They are also yummy since they have a bit of cacao powder. I came up with my recipe. I simply changed some of the grains and replaced coconut oil by apricot oil. But anyways, they invented the original recipe and I want to give them a big thank you!

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.



Recipe – make 15 to 20 bars

·       20 dates, pitted
·       100 g pumpkin seeds
·       50 g flax seeds
·       50 g almond flour or grounded almonds
·       50 g soy proteins
·       50 g sunflower seeds
·       4 TbS apricot oil (you can replace it by any oil though)
·       1 TbS cacao powder (un sweetened – optional)

1.     In a food processor or blender, pulse the dry ingredients quickly. Do not over-process, you want it a little crunchy. Place the mixture in a bowl and set aside. 

2.     Add all wet ingredients to the food processor or high speed blender and run until smooth. This might take some time, and if your blender isn’t strong enough you might have to help out by stirring around a few times with a fork or add a dash of water.

3.     Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. 

4.     Cover a baking trail with parchment paper.

5.     Spread the batter evenly onto the baking trail and make sure it becomes quite compact.


6.     Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Cut into bars. Wrap them in paper and store in an air-tight container. Will keep around a week in the fridge.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments