Semolina cake and red fruits coulis

By Unknown - July 05, 2014


"What's for dessert today?" asked my step-father. I must admit the question left me speechless. After cooking a meatloaf and some roasted zucchinis, I had thought of everything but of dessert. Besides the traditional yogurts and jam or the fresh fruits, I had nothing to offer him. 

I definitely had to find an idea for the next meal. I promised there would be something but at that point, I had no idea what it would be. 

I searched deep in my head to find the best idea. I didn't want to offer something usual, some dessert that we would bake all the time. I wanted some dessert that was light and not to sweet, tender and regressive. 

After many minutes thinking, I finally chose to bake a semolina cake. First of all, this kind of cake is always a success. It's impossible to fail a semolina cake. Then, it's a very simple cake to bake. It can be flavoured with whatever you like and fits all the criteria above. 

So I baked it and though everyone was surprised at first, it quickly became my sister's "must eat" because of the red fruits coulis. 


Recipe - serves 6

Ingredients : 

- 75 g semolina (it is a special one with very thin grains)
- 2 eggs
- 50 cL milk
- 30 g brown sugar
- 30 g honey
- 1 lemon zest
- Dried cranberries (optional)

Preheat your oven at 180° (350°F).

Heat the milk, the lemon zest, the sugar and the honey. When the milk is about to boil, add the semolina. Stir for 5 to 10 minutes (until the semolina is tender). Out of the heat, add the eggs and whisk the preparation. 

Add the dried cranberries and pour the preparation in a baking pan. 

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. 

When it's completely cooled, remove it from the pan and cover it with red fruits coulis (just cook some frozen red fruits with a lemon juice and as much sugar as you like to. When it's ready, just blend it and keep it in a glass bottle for up to 5 days). 








  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments