Sweet Potatoes variation

By Unknown - March 05, 2014




I’ve been wanting to cook sweet potatoes for a while. So I did it, finally. But of course, I couldn’t make my mind on the way I was going to cook them. I think I chose the perfect day to cook my sweet potatoes. They always remind me of summer and guess what, today was one of the scarce sunny days we had during the winter in Western France. So to celebrate the sun, I cooked my sweet potatoes a sweet way but a sunny way.

I chose to cook mashed sweet potatoes. I cooked the vegetables in some milk with vanilla and ginger. The taste was just perfect and exotic, exactly as I expected it. The ginger reminded of my mother whom I miss a lot and who loves it so much that she would put it in every dish she cooks if only everyone shared her love for this flavour.


With the leftovers of my milk, I baked a spicy custard with cardamom and orange zest. It made a nice desert to end our sweet potato meal.

My second recipe was a very simple one but very comforting one. I cooked sweet potatoes fries in the oven with olive oil, rosemary and we ate them with some home made mayonnaise. It was very simple, fast and easy to do but fries, as in every household, are always a winner.


So that’s it, here is my sweet potatoes variation. I hope you enjoy it.

Serves 2 to 3 people:

Mashed sweet potatoes:

-        1 large sweet potato
-        75 mL milk
-        Half a vanilla pod
-        A small piece of fresh ginger

Peal and cut the sweet potato in large cubes. Cut the vanilla pod in two and retrieve the inside. Thinly slice the ginger.

Bring the milk to a boil and throw in all the ingredients, including the empty vanilla pod.

Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until they are soft. Use a food processor to mash them with the ginger and some of the milk (I used about 20 mL).

Serve hot with some slices of roasted pork for example and a few sesame seeds.


Sweet potato fries:

-        1 long sweet potato
-        Olive oil to taste
-        Lemon pepper to taste
-        Salt to taste
-        Rosemary to taste

Heat your oven on 390° (200° C).
Peal and cut your sweet potato in fries-shaped pieces. Lay them on a baking tray. Season them with some olive oil, rosemary and lemon pepper.

Cook your fries for about 20 minutes. Add the salt once that they are cooked and serve them with a homemade mayonnaise and a salad.


Bon apƩtit!





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments